Roof Coatings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The tiled roof on our bungalow is about 46 years old and has been cleaned of moss 5 years ago.
The moss is coming back again and we thought to get it re-cleaned.
Some of the other properties in this development around the same age have had roof coatings done which look attractive
Our tiles have had some repairs in the past so that there are areas of old and new tiles.
I have no idea whether this method is good or just a waste of money and should have the roof cleaned again with chemicals.
We do plan to sell this year however and it occurred to us that the roof would be more 'presentable' if coated.
On the other hand it may suggest hidden faults being 'tarted up' of which there are none, cancelling that reason.
Happy to hear your advice
Cheers
Crow

Sponsored Links
Well. normally I would agree ...BUT to sell a bungalow to a " certain age group" it might not be such a bad idea . And yes, I saw one recently that actually did look OK - not like a shiny LEGO roof :idea: Ask a local estate agent if it`ll recoup £ or sell easier with it done :idea:

Hi

Knock on your neighbours door (even if you don't know them), explain that you are thinking of going down a similar road, and ask them why they had it done and are they pleased with the job - if yes, get them to provide the contact details, and the rest is up to you!

Regards

Sponsored Links
Hi

Knock on your neighbours door (even if you don't know them), explain that you are thinking of going down a similar road, and ask them why they had it done and are they pleased with the job - if yes, get them to provide the contact details, and the rest is up to you!

Regards

all you guys...thanks for the advice...we arent sure and have seen some bad comments about doing it...
the local stuff looks ok but i will have to check it out as suggested with the people involved...and of course see what my local estate agent suggest

brilliant!!

thanks again
Geof

Well. normally I would agree ...BUT to sell a bungalow to a " certain age group" it might not be such a bad idea . And yes, I saw one recently that actually did look OK - not like a shiny LEGO roof :idea: Ask a local estate agent if it`ll recoup £ or sell easier with it done :idea:

:D

yes we are retired and i am 67...know what you mean

thanks again for good advice

current count for roof-coaters in UK 156 'companies', 4 years ago 7. Oldest established 15 years, Kent & Manchester. Then came Aquashield (Over 30 pages of bad stuff about them on one saving forum) ,their ex-salesmen have started many ops' on their own since. Not many do the job properly and if done the correct way there is nothing wrong with it. Pay no more than *£20 mtr: do not let them spray a wet roof or when ridges have been pointed until it is very dry. Two coats and the 1st MUST dry so nextday in most cases. Try roof-coaters on google and see there are plenty of options. Go for darker colours for the non-legoland look. NB: approx 65,000 UK homes coated since 1999, so it can no be all bad. PPS: ask a roofer and he will say don't, like asking a banker if you should save 'under a mattress'.:cool: *Do not accept cheaper jobs as the coating wil be poor and only one coat in 99% of cases.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back