Aquaseal Roofing Coating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We've had a quote to get our roof cleaned, coated, repointed and missing tiles replaced. Our roof has Rosemary tiles and is about 50 years old. We have a few missing tiles but no leaks.

When we bought the house the survey said the roof was nearing the end of it's life. We're not sure whether or not this is worthwhile, it gives a 10 year guarantee, however I'm a little dubious as to whether or not the company will still be around in 10 years.

I wondered if anyone has had this done and found it worthwhile, or alternativel if there is anyone with more experience in roofs to tell us this is a complete waste of time/money.

Any thoughts gratefully received,

Mandy

Sponsored Links
Is this some sort of [resin] coating? If so it has very limited life on a roof and may well be a waste of money.

You need to weigh up the costs of this and new tiles. It may well be just as cost effective to replace with a cheaper tile. There are some that have the appearance of Rosemarys but not the cost.

Once the tiles start to shale, then no treatment is going to stop it. Its a very short term fix

DO NOT allow these people anywhere near your roof.

they are quick fix, maximum damage, expensive, no good, user unfriendly nightmares.

DON'T DO IT.

Sponsored Links
Well, you were all clear and to the point - lol - He quoted us £1600 to do the roof and reckoned we'd be about £4500 to replace the roof and we figured that while £4500 sounds a lot, if his 'fix' worked for 10 years it may be a mistake and more economical in the long term to replace the roof now rather than wait 10 years. To be honest we imagined the price of replacing the roof to be way more than £4500 and were scared to even investigate replacing the whole roof.....perhaps time to have a rethink!

Our house has been a work in progress and the thought of looking into roofers is unappealing to say the least.

We have no knowledge (or recommendations) so to go on, it'll probably be the usual nightmare to look for yer another tradesman!

I don't want to diss all tradesmen, but it's always a nightmare trying to find one!!

Thanks for your responses.....gratefully received, we will have a rethink!

i find it astonishing that the roof, which is your first line of defence, is always the last to get the attention.

don't neglect your roof. ;)

And don't even think that coating is going to last 10 years!

And they look AWFUL :LOL: :LOL: Like plastic lego roofing :p Then there are the other ejits that clamber over their bungalow roofs scraping the moss -----and half the original colour off :LOL: There`s a few Here in Retirement Sussex by the Sea

aquaseal is totally crap i can say this because i paid to get this done a few years ago lately it started flakeing off so with my 10 year gaurentee i
phoned customer services a number in kirkintilloch glasgow i was told that the original company had gone burst and myrie developments was
now the franchise operator after several calls after being told firstly that we cannot help and then maybe we can do something they refused to
get in touch always we will conntact you soon. seemingly this is quite comman with the 10 year gaurentee with companys going bust to start again in order not to honour it as for the product great if you want it done
and then sell up big mistake if you think it will enhance your home my advise keep away.

Unlike many here, I can write with first hand knowledge, and though I have no intentions of getting in to deep (noseall does that), the coating used by Aquashield should not be used on Clay (Rosemary) tiles. Though these tiles are porous, they do not allow this coating to adhere too well. On concrete tiles the coating is fine for 20 years IF done right, but as with many products and their are good operators and poor ones.
To test your tiles simply remove one or two from the first 3-5 rows (from the gutter). turn them over and see how much clay has peeled off the backs. (The damp and frost has more effect on the backs). If the tiles are up to 50% thinner in the middle to lower section or are crumbling, then they are in need of replacement. timescale is debatable, but as many rosemary roofs were fitted prior to 1948, then there may be no felt too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back