Roof Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into a 1936 built semi, six years ago, the roof contruction was orignal rosemary and no felt. The structural survey said it needed a re-roof as there were signs of water ingress. So the first thing we did was get the roof done. The roofer said that most of the tiles were good, and needed to replace 25% of them. So we had the job done. He cleaned the original tiles and put the good ones back on the roof.

Just out of curiosity, how long does a Rosemary tile last? Realistcally, hould we have had all the tiles replaced when we had it done. How long would it be before it needed doing again? Incidentally, the odd tile slippage since, we have those replaced, every thing is good.

The only reason I ask, is that a friend is having his roof done, and has been told that they shouldn't be using the orignal rosemary's if they are that old. It's got me kind of paranoid.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Have a read here.

Clay tiles can last for centuries (staffy blues) so time spent on a roof is not specifically a problem.

Certain machine made tiles were prone to delamination and is evident on the backs of the tiles. Usually a roof that has suffered delamination en-masse should be replaced wholesale. However, if the tiles you have lost were down to the usual removal and storage problems i.e. nibs lost and breakages etc then there is nothing to say that the ones he has put back aren't good for another 50 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back