Please Comment On Recent Roofing Repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Due to storm damage in February which left large areas of missing Rosemary Tiles on our roof, we had some repair work done. As we live less than 0.5km from the coast the wind speeds did some significant damage - please see image below:-

Unfortunately, after the roofer has carried out his repairs the repaired areas look extremely patchy compared to the rest of the roof. I have been told by the roofer that over time they will blend in, however I have my suspicions that the wrong type of tile may have been used ie Rosemary red instead of Rosemary Mixed Brindle light etc. Please see images below:-

I am also slightly concerned about the gaps between the tiles which are big enough to get your finger into, however I am of course no expert.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Sponsored Links
It does look like he has used plain rosemary tiles so if yours are brindle then they are not going to be a good match.

Thanks for the comments gents.

I'm not entirely sure what our original rosemary tiles are to be honest. I've tried looking online to see comparisons of rosemary brindle vs rosemary plain but can't really find any good info to help me definitively decide. Is there anyone on this forum with experience to help me decide?

Thanks for bringing up the pointing Tony, I'll definitely bring that up with them. I've actually just noticed they've not pointed one of the ridge tiles further back where a repair was made too!

We are paying £3,300 for all accessible roof repairs and to be honest it has been a complete pain getting these guys to do a thorough job. Missing tiles here and there that they were just going to leave and call the job done, battens that had fallen out of place they didn't even spot, flashing we paid for redressing that they missed.

There's still a load of cracked tiles on the roof that they've left and I'm assuming not worth repairing - though very irritating from a cosmetic point of view. What's the general consensus on this? Should cracked roof tiles be repaired or can some be left? Please see image below for example:-

Sponsored Links
if you have paid for a job to be carried out,then it should be done to a correct standard that the customer has paid for.

Well if you have paid that sort of money then you should expect a better standard of workmanship.

£3300!!! Should have been around £300 + materials and access.. How many days did they spend on it? You should be paying around £300 per day plus materials for two men.

£3300!!! Should have been around £300 + materials and access.. How many days did they spend on it? You should be paying around £300 per day plus materials for two men.

Hi Joe,

I agree it was on the steep side, but these guys came with a recommendation (now I have no idea why!). There was approximately 3 large holes in the roof after the storm similar to the top image in this thread which were repaired, and the price included 2 scaffolding towers + approx. 500 tiles. It is a fairly large house (7,000 sq ft, so quite a big roof), but not sure that should make a difference.

So far I would say they have spent 4.5 days in total on it at a generous guess and that's over a 2 month period!

I'm pretty peeved off because the roofing contractor seems to send a different gang every time (maybe that's why they miss so much) and last time they climbed over an electronic gate doing some damage to the back of it and also nicked a large bucket out of the garden which they threw in the back of their van and kept.

The company in question has been in business for 3 generation of roofers, so you'd expert better really.

The problem is they get to big and then the people who are driving there shiny new vans have not got much idea, that work is shocking if that is supposed to have been done by an established roofing company.

High price because it`s claimable on your house insurance - storm damage :idea: - 3 generations , unfortunately intellect doesn`t increase with each generation ;)

Thanks for the comments - I will bare all of this in mind when they come knocking asking for the final payment (we decided not to go the insurance route).

I'm going to send them back up to correct those broken tiles in the valley on the last image. Do you think I should get them to correct the gaps between the tiles on the first image?

It is a fairly large house (7,000 sq ft, so quite a big roof), but not sure that should make a difference.

Big house, big pockets!!!

Rubbish as it sounds it happens all the time.

YEP,my mums house needed painting,me and a painter m8 done it.but we needed a scaffold,big detached 4 bedroom.1st guy came round and quoted £1400,2nd guy came round and then quoted about 1k.i got it done for 600 quid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back