ROOF DAMAGE (SHOULD BE ABLE TO SEE PHOTOS)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have found within my loft a damaged area as you can see on the photos

In one photo you can see a (dead) wasps nest

Some masonry has come away and it looks as though some woodwork has been well chewed ? The rain doesnt come in

Does anyone have any idea of what this is and whether it merits urgent
attention. Also there are several areas of torn 'felt' in other parts of the roofspace but seem not to be associated with any damage to any other
feature.

for PHOTOS see
//www.diynot.com/network/waweldragon/albums/

Sponsored Links
//www.diynot.com/network/waweldragon/albums/

I am sorry to post again (my first postings didnt show the photos)

Any ideas on what this damage is , whether it is significant ? crumbled masonry is on stored stuff in the loft right below this area of damage. There is a dead wasps nest closeby and it appears that there is some damage evident to the wood on the photo. No rain leaks in and the damage has been the same for at least a year with no evident worsening.
There are some other areas of torn felt in other parts of the loft but without any apparent cause for the damage and no other problems visible

Id be pleased to receive opinions and advice . Should I report this to the landlord as an urgent issue. I dont think the roof is likely to give way but I wonder how long before this leads to water working its way in

photos once more //www.diynot.com/network/waweldragon/albums/

If the rain isn't coming in, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Any timber that's been chewed slightly has probably been chewed by the nest building activities of the wasps. Obviously the felt could be held back up someway. Don't lose any sleep over it , but monitor the roof for leaks in the future. ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
If the rain isn't coming in, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Any timber that's been chewed slightly has probably been chewed by the nest building activities of the wasps. Obviously the felt could be held back up someway. Don't lose any sleep over it , but monitor the roof for leaks in the future. ;) ;) ;)
I tend to dissagree.I would say get it sorted,it looks like the laths may actually be wet?Is that the case original poster?Either way i would still get it sorted and sooner rather than later.

Well spotted Cumbrianroofer. I really must make an appointment at Specsavers asap. Had a look again and your correct,. The lathe in the first photo does appear to be wet. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Well spotted Cumbrianroofer. I really must make an appointment at Specsavers asap. Had a look again and your correct,. The lathe in the first photo does appear to be wet. ;) ;) ;) ;)
Shuda went to spec savers ;) OP its not a major job at this time so get it sorted while this is the case ie before the wind and gales of winter arrive.You should get the work done for £150 max.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back