Roof Framing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Next week I'm pitching an equal hipped 40 degree cut and pitch roof or a 10 in 12.

Common rafters are 6x2 and the hips are double 9x2's.

As the commons are 6x2 I'm setting the H.A.P at 130mm measured along the building line from the top of the rafter, which gives me a seat cut of 70mm.

Now this is where I'm confused - The Hip...

Obviously the hip goes in at a shallower angle, albeit I don't know the actual angle, I use a framing square and set it to 10 in 17.

The H.A.P on the Common is 130 on the building line, if I transfer this measurement using the same method to the building line on the hip "I think it sets the hip higher on the plate in relation to the common".

I measured square off of the top of the rafter to the 130mm point on the Common and the square measurement is 100mm. Using the same method on the hip the square measurement is 115mm - this tells me the hip will be higher and will stuff up the roof line, but alas I'm not sure??

It's doing my head in!!

Sponsored Links
20230709_172851.jpg
seems to work with both hap's at 130mm....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back