Roof inspection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a survey done on my house and the surveyor has recomended that the roof is inspected and a report done. The roof is now in good condition as I recently repointed the ridge tiles and refitted 2 missing tiles.The roof which is constructed from slates without underfelt doesn't leak ( it was p*****g it down when the survey was done) but he still wants a report and the only reason I can think he's insisting on the report is because the slates back pointing is crumbling and some of its dropped out altogether,anyone have any thoughts why a report is needed on a water tight roof.

Sponsored Links
£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ :idea: :cry:

Valid point , BUT if there was felt ,one wouldn`t be able to see the condition of the slates :eek: so better without ?

Sponsored Links
No felt = possible rot of timbers = possible reroofing = £££
Its all bottom covering on the surveyors side.. if the roof turns out the be rotten or defective the surveyor could end up in some legal problems.

All the timbers are sound but I going to do the back pointing anyway because thats the only fault I can find.

How can you have a survey without checking the roof? What DID you pay for?

joe

I didn't have the survey done the people who are buying my house did,well they told me it was a survey but as it turns out it was just a valuation. The surveyor who did the valuation, I since found out is a mate of the buyer and he has advised him to have reports done on everything. The buyer even turned up when the valuation was being done which made me suspicous as the surveyor must have told him what time it was being done. The reason I think he want's all these reports done is to hopefully find a fault and ask for some money off but that wont happen because everything is in good condition apart from the slates back pointing hence my original question.

sounds like you hit the nail on the head with regards to your buyer and his mate,the only thing felt does is provide a secondary barrier,to prevent driving rain and snow.the back pointing you refer to,is called torching,it does the same job as sarking felt.it's a sand,cement and lime mix.the lime is to prevent shrinkage and allow flexibility.if you do this,be sure to wear a dustmask and goggles(trust me,if you get it in your eyes it stings like hell).if some of it has fallen out you bet sure as eggs is eggs you'll need to re-torch all of it.good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back