Roof insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm refurbishing a single skin brick shed for use as a hobby room / pottery. As the winter approaches I'd like to insulate the roof a bit. At the moment it's tile hung with no felt or lining paper - see pictures. I know the ideal would be to take off the entire roof and replace but I'd like to avoid that if possible!

144000_143872_28558_92855764_thumb.jpg

144000_143872_25670_94044876_thumb.jpg

My current thoughts are to wedge strips of Kingspan / Celotex between the rafters and cover the whole lot with hardboard or 9mm plasterboard. I'm a bit concerned about the plasterboard as that will be quite heavy. Any view or comments on this? Very grateful for alternative suggestions or approaches?

Assuming this is a good way to go, I assume I need to leave a vapour gap between the top of the Celotex and the underside of the tiles. Do I also need to leave a gap at the apex and the eaves or can I fill in right up to the ridge and head plates?

All advice welcome...
Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
You could use that stuff that comes in a roll,its like a tinfoil sandwich with insulation as the filling.you can tack it up using a staple gun.Then tape the joints up to keep the drafts out,not to much weight to worry about.

Oddly enough thats what I had up before when it wa just being used as a shed, and I must say it seemed to make no difference to the temperature whatsoever :(

Wouldn't the Celotex/Kingspan option would be much more effective?

Thx

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back