Roof Leaking or Not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone please answer this question for me? Ok it might sound a little stupid but "I Know Nathing"

My House is an 1800s stone built house with a slate roof that to the untrained eye looks ok. (Ive defineltly seen worse!) Anyway inside my loft the roof has planks of wood going accross the way, on which the slates sit. Following some stormy weather the wood seems to become damp, So it is wet but not leaking if you know what I mean.
I have also noticed that when it is frosty the petruding slate nails go frosty and one again leaves the wood damp.

Is this normal? do you think I sould be worried about it?

Sponsored Links
'planks of wood'?? Do you mean planks or do you mean battens?

Anyway, the wet might be blown-in rain. I assume the roof isn't felted? In which case any blown precipitation (rain, sleet, snow, etc.) can get in.

The frosty nail thing might be condesation (from a bathroom maybe). This condenses on any colder surface, and can then drip.

Does this help?

kind of, From what can see there isn't modern day felt under the slates, just some brown fibre stuff.

Anyways do you think I should worry about this or not? Oh sorry I did mean battens!

Sponsored Links
dave12 said:
Is this normal? do you think I sould be worried about it?
Well the timber should be bone dry, is it rain or condensation? Will need more ventilation if it's condensation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back