Roof overhang missing - correction needed

How much of this roof has this problem? As much as you have allowed us to see the problem is only with the off shot to one side.

Sponsored Links
How much of this roof has this problem? As much as you have allowed us to see the problem is only with the off shot to one side.

It's only on the bit of the house where the roof sticks out from the main roof at a slightly different angle. Both sides of the bit of roof.

I seem to remember that the guy helping me with the roof told me we could continue the tiling on the protrusion with complete tiles, without having to cut an (unsigthly) bit of tile just to have the verge overhanging. I thought it did not matter in this bit of roof.

Yes it is in the NHBC manual but I did not think of it when doing this part of the roof

If thats only that it's not that big of a job to fix and roofs are not made to work in for full tiles........ so it very uncommon for a whole roof to work that you don't have any cuts up the verges.

You always need to have cuts in somewhere as long as they are fixed in properly.

You always need to have cuts in somewhere as long as they are fixed in properly.

This is true. One would try and avoid very slender cuts but even these are unavoidable sometimes like when fitting a velux product for example. In these instances particularly where the fixing holes have been cut away we actually adhere this slither to the neighbouring tile with a polymer mastic (stixall, sticks like s**t etc.)

Sponsored Links
I was wondering what people do about older properties that have no overhang on the verge

I have seen older properties with no ov erhang.

Thanks for the feed-back, there are a number of things to consider here.

This is true. One would try and avoid very slender cuts but even these are unavoidable sometimes like when fitting a velux product for example. In these instances particularly where the fixing holes have been cut away we actually adhere this slither to the neighbouring tile with a polymer mastic (stixall, sticks like s**t etc.)

The very same thing happened recently on a job of ours. Using Double pans i tried to open the gauge as much as possible to leave a full tile finish into the velux, but was unable to, so unfortunatly was left with a small cut which needed sealing in like you say.

Whilst sealing the cuts in, the NHBC came up the scaffold for a nosey and said he wasn`t happy and wanted to know the correct fixing spec for velux windows.

We decided to actually ring Velux themselves to ask how we should deal with this type of issue, their response was.
"We don`t have a fixing spec for that, we leave it upto the proffesional fitting the product." Cheers.....
NHBC grumbled a bit, but seemd to accept the method, as we heard nothing else afterwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back