Roof strut has linear splits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok stairs done with your helpful advice next problem I noticed whilst getting my tools down from the loft. One of my roof struts has splits running parallel along it. The strut seems to be part of a 'w' truss I think and is one of the supports running floor to roof as it were. How can I strengthen it? Is there an off the peg clamp affair I can buy? I can post a piccie later if that helps.

Sponsored Links
natural timber is subject to drying out, whereby natural splitting and 'shake' can occur.

let's see a picture so we can determine how serious it is. try and include a ruler in the photo to give us some idea of scale.

Photo's as promised. Not as clear as I would have liked but I was limited for space. The ruler is a 30cm one and the larger split appears on both sides of the joist.

Loft1.jpg

loft3.jpg

loft4.jpg

This last one just about shows the second split just above the first though I admit it looks like wood grain on the photo.

Sponsored Links
if this piece of timber were in a pile waiting to be cut for a roof, you would probably throw it out and use it for noggings or whatever.

that said, if it is a vertical support member then i wouldn't worry too much.

are there any fixings, local to any splits, that look like there under any kind of strain.

i know this is a pain, but can you photograph the timber from a distance so i can see its relevance and orientation to the rest of the roof?

Not sure I can get much better than these as it is right next to the hatch. As for fixings under strain it doesn't appear so.

You can see the loft hatch edge in the foreground and the timber directly above the blu tin is the offending one.

P1010001.jpg

P1010002.jpg

these uprights aren't actually part of the roof trusses but strengthening additions to the roof, though from the pictures i can't actually see what they're strengthening or how and where they are fixed.

are they on all the trusses, and on both sides?

Sorry Noseall for the length between replies I've been away.

Yes they are for every truss and in pairs from the apex of the roof. Really all I want to know is if there is a metal brace or something I can use to ensure it doesn't split anymore.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back