Roof tile – can you paint them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

my tiles on the roof looked very dated with numerous moss growths and bird sh1t droppings everywhere.

I cant afford to replace the tiles so was waondering if there was a product that can freshen up the look of them, possibly a paint or sealer of some sort.

any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Yes there are coatings available but they will seal all the gaps that allow the roof to breathe so make sure you have sufficient ventilation into the roof void.

It would be a good idea to weigh up the costs of having that done as opposed to replacement as you should have a full scaffold to have the work done, you then have the cost of cleaning the tiles plus replacing any damaged and slipped tiles plus the cost of the coating itself.

Whilst not a direct comparison I've recently witnessed a job carried out near here where they coated the slates of a fairly large house, this involved a full roof scaffold and quite a few weeks of painting the slates with two coats of liquid coatings, these slates were of a good quality and could have been re-used with new felt and batten, I'm sure they would have paid not much more for this to be done.

Sorry no, we don't carry out that type of work so I don't know of any (you may have gathered from my last post that we don't really recommend it)

Sponsored Links
two days average, one to clean and prepare and one to coat, two coats of breathable acrylic. DIY would be a hard 2-3 days but no scaffold needed and you can hand coat but the pro's use airless sprayers.
There are a few companies doing it which range from £18 to £30 a mtr depending on the state of the roof, where you are etc etc 5 colours usually available. I have seen a few on you tube roof cleaning etc and roof coaters are springing up everywhere. Good Luck

STOP, if you have a standard ladder and can reach up to the gutter (or 2-3 rungs over), get a standard garden weed sprayer (5ltr with wand) and a good moss killer Jeyes fluid will do, With the sprayer nozzle fully open to get a jet, spray the area with soloution (see instructions for dilution rates), and sit back and watch it all die. Why chance falling orf old chap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back