Roof tile cuts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

couple of quick questions regarding building control notice. I have just had to look at a roof that has been given a building control notice of completion etc but am wondering how or why?

If roof tiles (in this case plain tiles) are cut smaller than the size laid out in the British Standard does this not mean they are not installed correctly? Is there no building control clause that covers tile and slate cuts? Is an incorrectly installed cut course of tiles OK as far as building regs are concerned?

Second question...the roof is actually incomplete! there is a whole dormer cheek that has neither been tiled or covered in any kind of waterproofing. It is an OSB board with metal lath ontop (obviously there was an intention at some stage to render it) which is just well very swollen and now mouldy - guess what? The roof leaks - all over the place!

I could go on i.e. no cloaking or cement work on any verge. Tiling battens left exposed in to valleys and rotting tiles place on a roof well below manufacturers minimum pitch etc etc etc.

This is probably the worst roof I have ever seen (and I have seen a few peaches :eek:)and yet it passed building control or at least has been given a building control completion sign off.

Cheers

DaveJ

Sponsored Links
Building Control Approval is no proof or guarantee of good workmanship throughout the build, that is not their role.

Building Control Approval is no proof or guarantee of good workmanship throughout the build, that is not their role.

Thanks for that Freddy. I kind of figured that they couldn't be held responsible for the level of workmanship. The customer just can't believe that a building control approval note had been issued for a roof in such a dire state. The roof in question had been the subject of major loft conversion and whoever did it obviously couldn't be bothered by the time it came to putting the roof back on - they clearly couldn't use a spirit level either as one of the dormers has either been put on leaning back at about a 5 degree angle or more worringly insufficient structural support has been put in for the dormer ridge and roof structure! :eek:

Cheers

DaveJ

Sponsored Links

Freddy,

just wondering what your thoughts are regarding regulation 7 Workmanship and Materials?

As far as I can tell in this instance inappropriate materials have been used (i.e. roof tiles used well below manufacturers minimum roof pitch), unfinished parts of roof just OSB board in place. Not many of the tiles or tile cuts are done to the relevant British Standard.

Would this not make them foul of building regs 7 on that bases?

Cheers

DaveJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back