Roof Tile Underlay - Gutter Layer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Bit of a noob question here. I have a new pitched roof for and extenstion which we have just finished putting all the rafters into. Im at the stage of underlaying and battening but I have been told (and ive got it on the existing roof) that its a good idea to put a layer of a plasticy type material that sits at the bottom of the rafters and will eventually sit into the gutter slightly (I guess it gives another layer of protection) this is attached to the rafters before I put the tile underlay down and the battens.

Does anyone know what the name of this material is, i need to order some but dont know what to look for!

Thanks in advance

James

Sponsored Links
we use 12" polythene dpc. ;)

tack it to the rafter ends and allow it to overhang the same distance as the first course of roof tiles, usually 60mm or so beyond the fascia. you then lay the membrane or felt on top of this as normal.

Sponsored Links
have to admit that i still like the good old fashioned stuff 12" I do exactly has noseall does.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back