Roof/velux leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All, I'm a long time lurker and first time poster.

I built an extension last year and installed velux and had no problems until very recently.

We've had two good downpours, one was extensive a couple of weeks ago and a deluge this morning. On both occasions there is a damp patch on the ceiling plaster at the reveal but not in the actual reveal which is odd.

It's strange that there has been no leaks until now either. I've been and removed the tiles and the felt is dry as well as the flashing kit etc, insulation collar and gutter. It's also a recessed edz for ref.

I also installed three other veluxes in the same roof identically with no leaks or damp patches. I'm at a loss what to do next if I'm honest so any advice would be appreciated. Attached are a couple of pics for visual reference.

I thought it might have been capillary a couple of weeks ago as it was super windy but that theory doesn't stack up as this morning was a deluge with no wind.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_7097.JPG
    IMG_7097.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_7099.JPG
    IMG_7099.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 159
Sponsored Links
Caley King, good evening.

Can I suggest you check externally for any debris / leaves Etc. which has built up anywhere around the Velux flashing and the adjacent roof tiles.

Ken.

Did you fit the Velux transverse drainage gutter? As the leaks from the top water may have passed your tiles onto the membrane and without the gutter to direct rain around the window it's running down the top of the Velux opening in the timbers.

If the tiling is done right rain shouldn't pass to begin with the gutter is belt and braces. I'd look at the tiles above the leaking Velux.

Thanks for the rapid responses gents. I can confirm I installed a tranverse gutter system and there is no built up debris. Have a look at the attached pic

Attachments

• IMG_7100.JPG
    IMG_7100.JPG
    370.1 KB · Views: 193
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back