Velux leak, 12 degree roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
3 years after building an extension planned with a 16deg roof, we got leaks through the wood at the bottom end of two of our velux windows.

I spoke to velux, and sent them photos, and they said all looked in order. Before they came out they asked me to check the roof pitch - 12 degrees.

Builder is now out of business, so I'm shafted there.

Velux wouldn't specifically tell me why my window would leak below 15 degrees, does anyone know?

Attachments

• IMG_1456.JPG
    IMG_1456.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 916
  • IMG_1464.JPG
    IMG_1464.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 2,570
Sponsored Links
Water will be able to seep through the seals/gaps of the flashing components in particular weather conditions at such a low pitch compared to 15°, capillary action will probably play its part, I dare say the test engineers at Velux know but the bods in the tech department at Velux are not privy to said information - they don't really need to know.

Sponsored Links
If there's that much moss on the tiles then there may well be moss on the drain channels that'll be down either side of the velux just underneath the tile overhangs. It's worth getting a ladder under the velux, sticking your head/shoulders out, and give it all a once over for any obvious obstructions.

If you're keen you could even get a hose pipe and soak localised areas to establish which part of the window design is struggling at 12 degrees, and assess whether you can do anything about it - i.e. a choice bead of silicone to help direct the water in a particular direction, or a judicious adjustment of some flashing.

Firstly open the velux and check all screws are fitted. (seen It)
Looks like a cut tile is fitted which cant be helped. Make sure these are not fixed through the side flashings
clear any moss,

Velux flashing kits are not all 15° some are 20° some are 25°
The one you have looks like 20°

3 years after building an extension planned with a 16deg roof,

Builder is now out of business
Did the builder just arbitrarily decide on a 12 degree pitch or did the constraints of the job mean he had no choice? Why was it designed this way? Why were Velux even fitted?

Just poor builders workmanship I think, was designed to be 16 degrees.

Think I've identified the route in. The water is appearing from the rubber seal between the wooden frame and the glazing.

When I was outside I notice a slight pounding of water at the bottom end of the window, where the side trims are, and open ends in the trims. These open ends were filled with moss. I'm guessing this was my problem. Don't know why this was open ended?

Just poor builders workmanship I think, was designed to be 16 degrees.
I'm finding it difficult to understand why any builder would opt for a shallower pitch when almost every GF extension is pushed as far out as possible to gain as much space as possible and consequently is screaming at the builder to pinch as much pitch as possible.
Is it possible to see a picture of the roof abutment against the house?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back