Roof window in a flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am having an extension done on my kitchen and because there is not enough elevation to have a pitched roof we are having a flat roof instead. To get more natural light into the room I wanted to have a roof window fitted but the builder who is doing the work expressed some concerns that it may leak slightly due to the water not being able to run away. Was wondering if anyone had any experience of this and if it is a problem, are there any solutions available?

Cheers. R

Sponsored Links
There is no reason why a properly fitted and sealed rooflight should leak.

The builder will, I assume , construct the new flat roof to the required fall to allow drainage, so I can't understand why he thinks the rooflight may leak.

On seconds thoughts, he may not be confident in doing this, so he is trying the cover himself so that he can say "I told you so" if it does leak.

Flat roofs aren't and shouldn't be flat, there should be a slight incline for the water to run off and not pool.

Ask your builder how much incline he's going to put on your flat roof.

The figure escapes me at the moment but it should be built to this spec.

Sponsored Links
NHBC Standards says.

"a flat roof has a maximum slope of 10 degrees from Horizontal."

or not less than 1:40

Give it a mention next time you see him.

Cheers for the advice guys. I've spoke to the builder again and he agrees it should be fine. A roof window with a kerb should have no problems. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back