Roof windows - rain and locks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a lodger in my converted loft. The loft has roof windows (roofLITE, not sure which model but it may be Nito) in the pitched roof, and standard PVC windows at the dormer (rear) side.

The lodger is very keen on keeping the roof windows open. He used to leave them open and go to work for the whole day, and I've had to close them when it has rained. So I asked him to close them before leaving the house and open the vertical ones instead. He promised to do that.

Today I saw a small gap in the roof windows while it was raining. The lodger was in.

Do these windows need to be closed when it rains, or is a small gap not a problem? A few drops of rain will obviously get in, but is this something to worry about? The windows and frames are wooden.

I'm also wondering if there are key-operated locks available that would be compatible with my windows? I could just lock them and he'd have to live with that.

Sponsored Links
Velux style windows often have a two position catch which allow ventilation but not rain [unless very windy] does it have a trickle vent?

They have trickle vents. They don't have a two position catch, whatever position you leave it at it stays that way.

Sponsored Links
They have trickle vents. They don't have a two position catch, whatever position you leave it at it stays that way.
All the roofline models I've seen have two position catch , without it high winds would flick the window over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back