Roof with no eaves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new to this - I'm replacing concrete interlocking tiles on a gable running back to valley. The gable is flush with adjacent house wall hence has no eaves to speak of. This results in valley mortar meeting verge mortar at a point at the bottom whereas the rest of roof has normal eaves with a gap between the tiles and the underfelt. Can this closed bottom end lead to problems with either circulation or drainage (eg pooling )in bad weather conditions? Should I leave a gap in mortar at lowest point when replacing ?
Most gables seem to jut out so have a short eaves section, mine doesn't. Thanks for any comments

Sponsored Links
Yep, valley is fine. This sketch may help.

Attachments

• IMG_20240327_090234.jpg
    IMG_20240327_090234.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 18
Sponsored Links
Thanks for your response, but why ? My understanding is that the sag in underfelt and gap between mortar and valley upstand is to allow any moisture on underlay or tile backs to escape. How does this get out of solid bed ?

Thanks for your response, but why ? My understanding is that the sag in underfelt and gap between mortar and valley upstand is to allow any moisture on underlay or tile backs to escape. How does this get out of solid bed ?
It's the reason dry valleys were invented. ;)

The need for mortar (wet valleys) supersedes that of other issues. You will have far worse problems if a wet valley is without mortar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back