Roof with no felt... wet rafters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have already posted about a similar issue this week.

But here I want to ask if we should be expecting some water marking on rafters? We have an old roof 50+ years with no felt.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I'd be amazed if you weren't seeing some water marks!

Give the weather of the last few weeks, if the timbers are basically dry (ie the undersides are dry, maybe damp marks on the sides) and solid (prod them with a screwdriver see how far in it goes. Correct answer is not very far) then don't worry about it. It'll be a good sign if your roof space is cold and draughty as well

I guess your right about having some water marks. There is quite a lot of moss on the roof too, which we are planning to get cleaned off - I guess that's not helping.

Here's a pic of the watermarks anyhow.

View media item 72692
I will double check but I'm sure they are pretty solid!

Yeah just checked and the beams are solid as a rock (well... wood)

Sponsored Links
Good idea to get the moss shifted (the faster the water can get away from the roof the less time it has to seep through any weak spots).

Don't go getting conned by any of these cold callers offering fungicidal roof treatments and don't go mad with the pressure washer (if you spray up the pitch you'll probably dislodge the torching which would be a shame- it looks quite good).

There's a bit discussion here //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1150303#1150303 about demossing- interesting about the copper or lead ridge.

Have fun

Thanks!

Apart from the moss and the ridge/hips tiles which need replacing the roof seems okay. no missing tiles.

We might have the loft converted in a few years so maybe leave the roof for now.

Was just trying to think ahead as gutters, fascia and sofits being replaced in a couple of weeks.

That post looks interesting!

Checked on the roof and beams again earlier and the rafters looked to be drying. Especially the side edge closest to tiles so the cold draft is doing its job. It's started raining again so never mind.

Gonna get a few roofer friends to gather some opinions but I'm probably going to remove the moss and see how it goes!

Had a guy round to look at the roof/inside and out.

Said that nothing to worry about really, beams will get damp/water marks but as its a cold roof, the draught will keep drying them.

Also recommended I insulate the ceiling properly to prevent making it any worse. and get my fascia/sofits and gutters replaced which is work I have already got planned in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back