Roofing terms, Purlin & valley board.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there wonder if anyone more knowledgeable than me (thats basically anyone) could help.

On a survey for a house I'm buying the surveyor states:

"The purlin in the rear roof space has seperated from the valley board to which it was originally nailed. A prop now stands below the purlin to prent further movement but it's advisable to install further strengthening or to reinstate a sound mechanical connetion at the end of the purlin".

I've tried to picture what this all means but am struggling, can someone help explain?

Many Thanks

Unkle.

Sponsored Links
A valley board is a section of the roof where two roofs meet at 90 degrees thus forming a valley. The valley board is a piece of wood (possibly ply) that sits on both sides of the valley giving the lead additional support to stop it sagging.

The purling sits probably mid way thus supporting the valley.

not sure if i have a picture of one i did... will take a look. Not sure if this will help but the valley is the piece of timber where the short rafters come down to meet the long ones. The valley boards are not yet installed on this picture.

rooftimbers.jpg

The valley boards sit between the 2 blue lines on this picture

valleyboards.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back