Room Dividers/Fire Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having building work done on our house and, as part of this, we are looking to open up the kitchen to a large room in the centre of the house. We need to use fire doors, as the staircase from the upstairs (where we have an old loft conversion without a fire door) is accessed via that room but want the opening to be over 2 metres.

I have a quote from a carpenter to make a set of sliding folding fire doors that would meet the regulations but wondered whether the folding sliding external patio doors sold by Wickes would suffice. Does anyone know if these external doors would satisfy the fire regulations?

Sponsored Links
I have a quote from a carpenter to make a set of sliding folding fire doors that would meet the regulations but wondered whether the folding sliding external patio doors sold by Wickes would suffice. Does anyone know if these external doors would satisfy the fire regulations?
Its very unlikely as most external doors are not fire doors, its also unlikely that a handmade glazed door will be accepted by building control.

To avoid being caught out when trying to get the work signed off by building control, make sure the doors you buy are designed to be fire doors. I don't think you can achieve fire resistance with sliding doors anyway. :confused: Also if it were glazed you would either have to use Georgian wired glass which is pretty unsightly or Pyrostop fire resistant glass which is £££s. A fire door should have a label like these: http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...tryUK%7CcountryGB&safe=off&sa=N&start=18&um=1 scroll down a bit. Make sure nobody removes the label. If you persue the sliding door route, without fail run it past building control before you commision the work.

edit to link that works!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back