Room thermostat for cheap convector heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently bought a few dirt cheap convector heaters that have built in thermostats to heat a 2 bedroom flat (no gas available). The thermostats on the units themselves are absolutely terrible at maintaining a stable room temperature and only seem to regulate how hot the unit itself gets (what else could it do really?).

I've been trying to find a separate thermostat that I could mount at shoulder height away from the convector heaters, so that they are thermostatically controlled from a real room temperature as opposed to the built in thermostats, but not having much luck.

Does such a thermostat exist? I guess it would need to be able to switch off the plug in convector heaters using an inline plugin receiver switch. Any recommendations?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
It would not be viable for 'dirt cheap' heaters.

If the heater switches off because it is hot but the room is not then there is nothing you can do.

iF you "google" room stat for storage/convector heaters, then there is plenty of choice available. I would suggest you have it professionally installed though.

I can override the thermostat on the device so that it stays on all the time.

Sponsored Links
Not impossible to do, would be quite easy to wire up an external stat,

But with respect, would you be confident enough to rip the heaters apart and would you know what you are doing safely.

Good idea btw, wonder why manu's haven't done this as an option?

I can override the thermostat on the device so that it stays on all the time.
Not a good idea. At best it could result in the heater over heating and melting the non-resetable safety fuse link rendering the heater useless.

At worse it could be VERY dangerous as it might result in the heater over heating and becoming a serious fire risk before the safety fuse melts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back