Room thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Salus ST620 thermostat attached to a Worcester boiler that’s not working properly and I would rather have a remote controlled thermostat. would it be on the same rf frequency with the RT3101 if I changed it? And if not, what model would work? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi Cathy,

Same frequency or not, the only ones that will work with Salus will be Salus. They are renowned for being dire. Plenty of alternatives available, depends on your budget and whether you’re paying someone to install it.

Hi Cathy,

Same frequency or not, the only ones that will work with Salus will be Salus. They are renowned for being dire. Plenty of alternatives available, depends on your budget and whether you’re paying someone to install it.
I don't know about Cathy, but I don't understand that! If it has to be Salus, how can there be an alternative?

The RT3101 is a Salus. If the brand doesn’t rank highly can anyone recommend one that is good and will be compatible.

I’d rather get someone in that knows what they’re doing. I have two Apts I need to do this for.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
The thermostat has to use permitted radio frequencies, so to make sure it only works with the right signal, it also sends a tone superimposed onto the frequency to identify it as the signal which should be used, it is specially designed not to respond to next doors thermostat, or other items using radio frequencies.

To ensure it works, it needs two way coms of some sort, i.e. turn on boiler, and a reply OK turning on boiler, there are cheaper methods, like if no signal received in 30 minutes assume battery is flat on thermostat and turn off boiler.

But in theroy at least it should not matter, if the wall thermostat gets stuck on, the TRV (thermostatic radiator valve) will turn off anyway, so all it means is the boiler will cycle on/off. However with most TRV's having a setting *123456 it is a bit hit an miss if set correctly, and even more hit and miss as to if lock shield valve set correctly which stops an over shoot.

However the TRV heads can be replaced for the electronic type, and one will have ºC and an app on your phone.
I have a Salus ST620 thermostat attached to a Worcester boiler that’s not working properly
What is it doing wrong? It may be a TRV and the wall thermostat are fighting each other, rather than working in harmony. A TRV and wall thermostat in the same room can be set to work together, but it takes some work and time to set them to work together, far easier if the TRV is linked to the wall thermostat.

The standard instructions years ago before we have modulating boilers was not to have a TRV in same room as wall thermostat, and the wall thermostat should be placed on a lower floor (as heat raises) in a room kept cool (as we don't want heating to run when it is likely to be a warm day) with no alternative heating, this includes heat from the sun through the windows, and no outside doors. I don't know about your house, but my house there is no such room, so only way is in my case use the hall, and have a TRV which will allow rapid reheating of the area if a door is opened, but will reduce the heating so other rooms also heat up.

However this worked A1 with mothers house, but not with this house, so it does seem one system does not suit all. The EvoHome is very good and likely to work with most homes, the Drayton Wiser is also very clever with learning TRV heads, but Hive is cheaper, however to get good control you are looking for a wall thermostat which links to the TRV heads, unless living in an open plan house. Tado I am not so sure about as there are a few thermostats in the range, and not all are linked, but Worcester Bosch do their own thermostats as well, but last time looked, although connect to ebus so modulate the boiler better, they like Nest don't connect to TRV heads so are rubbish really.

But it would be better if you say what is wrong with your existing system, and also how much you are prepared to pay, I work with the near enough engineering principle, there is no point paying 100 of pounds if you can get a system good enough for your needs for £50, so the guides may say do this and that, but some times a simple on/off thermostat is enough.

The thermostat is wall hung in another room from the boiler. All the troubleshooting checks were done but neither light, touchscreen or pushing the ok and arrow buttons work. I have managed to get it paired so at least some heat is on but the programme is stuck to the last person's setting and of course the time is an hour out. changing the batteries didnt do anything. Im wondering whether someone has damaged something inside as the screw to keep it connected to the back is missing.

The property is a holiday let. I just want to get a thermostat that will work and that I can control remotely. Tech advise is going over my head so I just want some advise as to which thermostat will work remotely and is compatible. The flat is on one level in a grade 2 listed building it gets very cold in there and the internal walls are brick.

I don't know about Cathy, but I don't understand that! If it has to be Salus, how can there be an alternative?
What I mean is if there is an existing Salus Receiver then the only one that would work with that receiver is Salus - so would need to be Salus for it to work. If She wants an alternative, then the receiver and handset would need to be removed and new fitted.

@CathyM - as I said plenty available. Is the receiver built into the boiler?

Do you want programmable, non programmable, app control, Wi-fi?

What I mean is if there is an existing Salus Receiver then the only one that would work with that receiver is Salus - so would need to be Salus for it to work. If She wants an alternative, then the receiver and handset would need to be removed and new fitted.
OK got you

• Thanks
I have a Salus ST620 thermostat attached to a Worcester boiler

Is this what you currently have? With the receiver on the right attached to the boiler?

1712953807998.png

If so, this may be compatible with your existing receiver. I know nothing about it. This is not a recommendation!

1712954593214.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back