Rotary demolition hammer reccommendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a large chimney that needs to come down - wants a kango or similar.

I have a number of cores to drill, up to 162 mm through engineering brick to both cavity leaves - did a couple with a standard DIY mains drill with lots of cool down time, but then ragged the gearbox to pieces when one snatched.

An SDS hammer drill to complement the cordless JCB Li-ion from B&Q (don't mock - 5 yr warranty...) that I use for almost everything would be handy. Sinking larger holes in confrete, socket boxes etc.

Will 200-250 buy me a tool that could do all or the above and last? Don't mind heavy, don't mind slow for core drilling, but would rather one monster than 3 crummt tools or money down the drain on rentals.

Reccomendations on a postcard please!

Thanks

oncrete; socket bodes etc.

Sponsored Links
Went halves with my brother on with this:

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/makita-hr...y-hammer-drill-with-quick-change-chuck-p16774

Drill that's rated for cores (only 80, but 110 should be ok if care taken)
3-mode (chisellign only) for the chimney
3-jaw chuck for metalwork/wood
AVT to not kill hands even if the job does take an age
Set of Makita SDS bits
Small enough to use for normal wall drilling unlike the larger 2811F
3 year warranty

£250

Was seriously tempted by this for £120:

http://www.its.co.uk/pd/D-21200-Makita-Drill-and-Chisel-Bit-Set--SDSplus-Shank-17pce-_MAKD21200.htm

But decided that £60 extra (shared with brother remember) was worth it for the AVT and 3-Jaw.

You should have hired.
That makita looks like a toy for a chimney job.

Its always best to have separate machines for breaking and coring imo.
Coring is best done with diamonds these days and not tungsten tip.

Makita make the largest range of breakers and breaker/drillers on the market.
We have the HM1213C breaker only. Packs 18.6 joules of punching power. Thats enough to break down 35 newton reinforced concrete.

Still a long way off Rocky Marciano's punching power which was reported to be 1028 joules. :mrgreen:

Doh! I guess patience will be tested...

I've been using the mexco diamond cores from toolstation rather than tungsten carbide (on that makita 2070) and if your'e slow/careful the combo will do the job. Don't hold the drill too firmly or run it too quickly though; that's the mistake I made with the 54 mm core (not the 162 mm one!) and when the drill snagged it sheared the drive pins rather than kicking the drill around a bit and absorbing the shock load. Gear 1 speed 1.5 for 162 mm, gear 1 speed 3 for 54 mm, and take cooldown breaks with the bit out/speed 5 every minute.

Sponsored Links
you should ALWAYS use a drill with a clutch when coring.

It has one. And it's supposed to protect the gearbox. :rolleyes:

It's not the first time I've maimed that drill to be fair - the clutch died under warranty whilst screwdriving. Something of a disappointment compared with the old Black & Decker that it replaced. (black case, 850W or so, with speed and electronic torque control, bought in the late 80s/early 90s)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back