Sub-standard service from DIY & Hire Shops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't often have to hire tools thankfully but as with every DIY project there will be a trip to a local DIY/Hire store(s). Relying on the DIY stores for stock levels is a game of chance. But today trying to book a demolition hammer brought back all the times I've been messed around by DIY related stores and I'm just wondering if other DIYers have had the same experiences.

Last week I tried to put in an order to Wickes for about £160 worth of supplies. Only to find they were going to split the order into standard and bulk items and charge me £30 for delivery as a result (I live 4 miles from this store). They regarded the 2 x postcrete bags as bulk items hence the extra charge. I would've had to order over £300 to not be charged, and over a £100 to even qualify for delivery at all. And put up with multiple deliveries. I managed to get everything in one delivery, cheaper and speedily from eDecks and no messing around.

Again recently went to Wickes to get some driveway sand and while I was deliberating over what to get I was asked by one of the store assistants if I could leave the aisle as they needed to use the forklift to restock. Giving no indication of how long or that they'd let me know when they'd be finished which they didn't even though they saw me loitering around. So much for putting customer's first and made to feel totally unwelcome. When I went back the following week their website said they had over 400 bags of postcrete in stock but in reality only 2 were actually on the shelf, one had been split open! Like a lot of stores nowadays they seemed to be manned by school leavers who couldn't care less about customer service and can only be bothered to offer the lowest level of customer etiquette if at all. Where is the training???

Wickes and B&Q routinely give stock levels which are based on fiction and B&Q routinely can't be bothered to keep proper control over their stocks of popular items so are persistent offenders of running out. I wouldn't mind it but B&Q charge like a wounded bull.

I don't hire tools very often but when I booked a mixer from HSS a few years ago they let me down at the last minute and couldn't even be bothered to organise a mixer from someone else. Brandon tool hire gave me a core drill which wasn't fit for purpose and had the wrong chuck key in the case.
Currently I'm trying to hire a demolition hammer from national tool hire?? On their website when I do a store search all it gives me is the first half of the postcode, their 'call me option' doesn't work and 'message window' on their site doesn't work properly. Neither do they make it clear this hire item comes with a chisel (I aware quite often they don't).

Sponsored Links
I've had pretty decent service from hire companies. Only thing that bugs me is the random pricing and "discounts". That said I'd still rather buy the tool new or second hand. Better than wasting time driving around and handy when you need an extra day or split a job over a few weekends. You can always sell them on. The £150 titan breaker from screwfix is excellent. Used mine a lot and its gone through anything I've thrown it at.

This isn't going to be directly helpful to you, but try and find yourself a local hire company. I started using a firm literally a couple of miles from me - no website to speak of, no prices online, not even a real list of tools so I was a little bit put off but I can't believe I put up with the others for so long. For a start, they're PENNIES in comparison to the big boys, they haven't let me down once and also seem happy to supply at fairly short notice.

And I've hired everything from an excavator to a wacker plate from them, now

Agree with VDubDan,
Find a local hire company who supplies to the local builders, in my experience more experienced and more time to help DIYer's (if you go in off-busy-hours).
SFK

Sponsored Links
the building materials sector of retail is not set up well for DIY.

the sheds cater well for buying what you see on the shelf, not too hot for customer service and their business model doesnt seem to deal very well for delivery.

builders merchants have their business model very well designed for delivery. However they have an antiquated method of pricing that utilises discount structures that are set up on customers accounts, so for retail sales 'trade discount' tends to be whatever the salesperson at the time wants to give you.

The best thing is try and use local suppliers/merchants, usually better prices and service.

Thank you guys. Yes think that's a way forward and hadn't thought of that. Next time I'm doing a DIY project I'll be spending my money with local businesses :)

When it comes to tool hire, I can vouch for one of the big boys I'm afriad. I guess it must vary from branch to branch but my local Jewsons has been more than helpful to me. The guy in the depot bent over backwards to get a cement mixer to my home address with little notice (or rather none!), alright that was down to my bad planning at the time, but they resolved my issues when truly speaking it was indeed my problem not theirs.

When it comes to tool hire, I can vouch for one of the big boys I'm afriad. I guess it must vary from branch to branch but my local Jewsons has been more than helpful to me. The guy in the depot bent over backwards to get a cement mixer to my home address with little notice (or rather none!), alright that was down to my bad planning at the time, but they resolved my issues when truly speaking it was indeed my problem not theirs.

I've not used Jewsons for hiring but they seem to be a bit more expensive. Might give them a try though from this thread the wise advice seems to be to to concentrate on the smaller companies if at all possible.

Sponsored Links
Back