Rotted floor joist end Not so much damp but wet...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, New to the forum but was just wondering if anybody could assist, I know this has probably been done to death but recently bought a house and the after taking up the floor boards in the front room I can see the joists are rotting and damp..Well more wet than damp..(I know detailed survey as my wife continues to tell mejavascript:emoticon(':oops:')

It goes back about 45cm then it seems dry and solid....Can I cut and replace the joist end or do I need to replace all?

Also, is there any special things I need to replace, Joist is actually sat in a cavity onto external wall...
I have also looked to see where the damp is coming from but nothing obvious but will need to find as the "rubble and sand is also damp..Will have better look when all floor is ripped up tomorrow...Lucky me.....

Pictures posted in album to see the offending timber.

Thanks in advance all.

Sponsored Links
How come this didn't come out on the house buying survey?

Most important fact is that you have dry rot, not very advanced, but its true dry rot. The white strands in the near joist in pic 1. are indicators.

I dont see any air bricks/vents to the exterior? You should have cross ventilation below the floor. Pics of the outside would help and pics of the whole room.

The skirting and perhaps the plaster above the skirting might be harbouring dry rot strands or spores.

The bricks are a past remedial measure to support the sagging, bouncing joists. Does the floor bounce anywhere else in the room - or in any other rooms?
Is there a distinctive mouldy smell in any other room?

All wood debris must be removed from the oversite.

Search inside and outside for a DPC.

Are the external walls solid?

FWIW: follow my past posts on this subject (see "bolt-on's) and see pics and info ref other, similar situations from other OP's.

Carefully lift, say three more floor boards back, and pic how the joists look. If you intend to lift the whole floor dont bother - but why are you lifting the floor at this stage of the investigation?

doesnt look like dry rot to me,but really not enough info from the pics to be absolutely sure.
if this was my floor i would take the floor boards up to the middle wall plate,and where the joist ends go into the wall i would lay a course of bricks down with a wall plate and cut the joists ends off.you may well find that you have to replace a few joists if they are totally fubared,hence why i say to the middle plate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back