Rotten egg smell when boiler on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had an engineer come out to look at my boiler as it kept losing pressure at least once a month which I thought wasn't right. It turns out it had a water leak which is now fixed.

However I am still worried there is something else wrong with my boiler/system. I can smell rotten eggs whenever the boiler is on. This isnt coming from the actual boiler but seems to be coming from the nearest radiator to it. It doesn't smell when the boiler is off at all. I have read that it could be hydrogen sulphide but this seems to be more common when the radiator is bled which I haven't done? Could the smell have something to do with the water leak from before?

Sponsored Links
Has the room been decorated recently? It has been known for paints like Valspar and B&Q to give off a "cats pee" smell, when warmed up.

Corrosion is heating systems will produce Hydrogen, Hydrogen Sulfide is a different kettle of fish altogether, created by decomposing organic matter in the absence of oxygen, highly toxic and very unlikely to be coming from your radiators.

Sponsored Links
Could it be a heating pipe adjacent to a dead rat or mice, (beneath a floorboard) ?
We were warned about this when we had mice in our house (pest control bod warned us this, saying mice like the warm of the heating pipes).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back