rough cost for RSJs for thick exterior walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to open up my kitchen and sun room to make a large kitchen dinner and separate lounge. Both the sun lounge and kitchen were added after the (1890) house was built, so it would mean removing the original exterior 18'' walls.

Is this possible? Obviously I would need a structural engineer for a proper quote, but any idea how much this is likely to cost for the wall removal, RSJ's and plastering?

I have included some plans to show what I'm hoping to achieve…

Sponsored Links
I would like to open up my kitchen and sun room
What is the make-up of the sun room, i.e. does it have floor, walls and roof as thermally efficient as the main dwelling.

You say your walls are 18" thick. What is their make-up?

Cost of the 'grunt work', i.e. removing walls and installing the beams and making good will be in excess of £2.5k for each item, although this dependant on a lot of factors and is probably best case scenario.

The floor levels and wall plaster alignment could throw a spanner as can how easy it is to needle the existing walls.

The sun room is a brick built structure with a cavity insulation. The roof is tiled and the floor is concrete. I will need to further insulate the room with roof insulation and secondary glazing I think.

The 18'' walls are stone/rubble. do you think I would need 2 lintels to accommodate such width?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back