Rough guide for a plastering quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We plan on getting a conservatory wall plastered that was the old outside wall, which we left plain brick but now have decided to get it plastered. It is roughly 4m long with a double glazed door and window to plaster around and also a light and power socket.

I plan on getting quotes and wondered how much I should expect to pay. The conservatory is full height all around so the only wall is the one which was the old outside wall.

I assume its straigt forward plaster or is there anything else I need to be aware of

Thanks

Sponsored Links
how longs a piece of string..............

its not straight skimming the wall as its brick! lots of ways to do it just depends on what you want and what your plasterers advise you.

but 2 days work is an average i think on what you have described.

get 3 quotes and dont always choose the cheapest. try get a recommended plasterer if you can.

£150 to £200 plus material, depending on method used. Days work there.

I would say you need to find a good tradesman first. Some one who will let you see their work and talk to previous customers.

If you can find two or three of these, then start your pricing exercise.

Sponsored Links
You aren't going to get plasterers jumping through hoops for a bit job like that.

You aren't going to get plasterers jumping through hoops for a bit job like that.

Maybe not through hoops Joe but a plasterer will look at it and give them some advice and if he can't do it them he will probably know someone who will. I never refuse to look at most jobs and I pass them on to a couple of spreads if I can't get around to doing them. And they do the same for me...

You’re looking at more than just a skim, it’s either going to be a base coat+skim or batten, boarded over+skim; although not as hardwearing, sometimes this is the better option if, say, you want to mount a TV & hide cables. If it’s an Edwardian cons, it could be well over 4m into the apex & that does create some problems & extra work. Either way you’ve got to be looking at a couple of days work, £350-£400 + materials but, as already stated, chose your spread with care, get recommendations & look at previous work if you can. joe makes a good point about many plasterers not jumping through hoops for this sort of work as it can be fussy & more difficult which is why you need to be careful who you choose, it may sound incredible but not all plasterers can actually plaster :eek: . You should be able to find someone though but get several quotes; it’s actually the sort of job I prefer & I’ve done a few but I do charge the high end of the above figures. :cool:

Maybe not through hoops Joe but a plasterer will look at it and give them some advice and if he can't do it them he will probably know someone who will. I never refuse to look at most jobs and I pass them on to a couple of spreads if I can't get around to doing them. And they do the same for me...
agree with roy, i dont turn small jobs away because they lead to bigger jobs and more customer base which is what we strive to achieve. no customers = no money!!

I have a pretty poor experience of ost current plasterers.

Myself I have been very lucky because through work colleagues I was introduced to an older Irish plasterer who did my extentions at two different houses. He did a five year apprenticeship.

He was reasonably priced and did a very good job. An indication is that although I said I would leave the money there for him, he refused to take any money until I had seen his work!

One of my customers had his kitchen replastered. This fellow implied that he would plaster the kitchen but all he did was to dry line and skim the plasterboard.

I seriously get the impression that many current plasterers are not at all competent to do a proper job.

Shortly I will be needing one for a small job of about 5m² where I am removing a chimney breast. I dont know any and it frightens me having to find one. But I have a friend who is a builder and I am sure he will help me just as I help him.

Last week he called me at about 2100hrs and said he had a problem. I asked how long it would take to be at his local tube station and he said one minute. I told him that I would be there in two minutes.

He was so amused by my immediate response that he even told his neighbour!

One of my customers had his kitchen replastered. This fellow implied that he would plaster the kitchen but all he did was to dry line and skim the plasterboard.

I seriously get the impression that many current plasterers are not at all competent to do a proper job.

I quite agree with what you say Agile. The ability to skim does not make a plasterer. Plastering covers many subjects. Skimmers can only cover a flat surface that's already there,, and in many cases, that surface was put there by a proper plasterer, back in the past.

sounds like your easiest and cheapest solution would be to have the wall dot n dabbed then skimmed. This could be completed in a day would probably cost £200 - £300 . Where as if you were to have it rendered then skimmed it may take up to 3 days depending on whether it was 2 coat render or 1. Also if you were to have it dot n dabbed you've a better chance of a good job as its easier to do.

not nessacerily get a better job from dot and dab, if you do it yourself then yeah d&d would be better BUT if you get a professional and i dnt mean someone who thinks thier a plasterer cos then can SKIM but someone who can float screed render and more then i would prefer sand and cement, but thats just me i love internal float sand and cement and it skims up an absolute dream (if its done right ;))

Where abouts in Dorset are you? I'm near Poole and I'd be more than happy to come round and give you advice and a quote.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back