rough like sandpaper plaster and stains on interior wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi looking for some advice,
Just recently had house plastered {1940s 50s} one wall in our upstairs room will not dry it is water stained and rough like sandpaper with I think salt deposits.
The outside wall was soaking due to no guttering at time of renovation.
How long should I wait for it to dry(although the rough reddish plaster feels dry) ?
Do I need to get the plasterer back and re-plaster with a new render?
Look forward to your replies
Debra

Sponsored Links
The problem will be that salts from the external water will have ingressed through wall and to plaster, the external problem should have been repaired and wall allowed to fully dry before any internal work had been done.
Even though the wall is dried theses stains will continue to leach through. You could seal, neutralise or start again.

Thanks for your info.
How do you neutralise?
What do I seal with?
Debra

Sponsored Links
The problem is that it could take six months for that wall to dry out properly if it was saturated. Personally I'd be taking it all off and letting the wall dry properly - although I appreciate that this isn't ideal.

I tend to agree with the above, as you/plasterer has trapped moisture in the stone wall. Even trying to draw it out with heat and/or humidifier could be time consuming and may not be as effective as starting over.
Really the water/moisture issue should have been resolved, then walls allowed to dry, prior to plastering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back