Rough patches on wall/salt/efflorescence? unsure what to do

Discussion in 'Plastering and Rendering' started by robodelfy, 17 Nov 2021.

1. robodelfy

robodelfy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, I hope this is the right forum,

I have been asked to help a friend prep and paint their house. many patches seem to have these rough bumpy patches. She did say that area was quite damp. I looked online and wondered if it is efflorescence (which I only just learnt about)

What is my best course of action to deal with this, whatever if is! Photo attached

20211116_122304.jpg thumbnail_20211116_123046.jpg

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Godwasaplasterer

Godwasaplasterer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    scrape it all off , wire or stff brush then wash it down with white vinegar and water before repainting.
    it may come back though.
    in which case the remedy is more industrial.
    it’s a summer job.

4. robodelfy

robodelfy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks, so what is it?

And can I ask why its a summer job?

5. blup

blup

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As well as damp from within the wall blowing the plaster, it may also/alternatively be water dripping from a gutter above. Painting will smarten it up but not address the root cause.

Blup

6. tell80

tell80

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Water has got behind the paint and into the render and whatever else the background is.
    You will have trouble painting it with a blown and failing background - the masonry is probably soaked.
    Whats the interior of the presumably solid wall like, is it water damagedto?
    The window opening has no projecting cill so water runs off and then runs down the face getting into the lower wall..
    You can see previous repairs so if as you say the house is like this then its a case of removing whats there and then starting from scratch.

7. robodelfy

robodelfy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ok thanks for the advice, I will speak to my friend about it and see what they want to do. Of course it makes sense to deal with the underlying problem. From what I could tell the sections of blown render were'nt too large, and I wondered if I could just hack them off and use Tourpret F filler. But maybe there is a deeper/bigger problem that needs dealing with

And yes I noticed the lack of projecting cill

8. Sponsored Links