Rough textured finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,
I've just filled in a hole and sanded it down. Now trying to find the right finish.
It looks like a matt emulsion, but it's almost like it's had something added to it. It's a very slight texture, that you can hardly see but it's definitely there. So my patchwork sticks out because it's been sanded smooth.
Is there a practice of adding something to paint, perhaps to hide imperfections? I've looked at textured paint, but it's far too much of a texture.
Any ideas please?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
sharp sand maybe?

Failing that light sand and repaint the whole affected wall.

Sponsored Links
I was thinking that at first, but dismissed it because it looks the same around light switches etc, where there are obvious brush marks i.s.o a roller.
But I will give it a go with a roller. Maybe the stipple from the roller would be enough to make it un-noticeable. Failing that, I will do as suggested and sand the whole wall - I prefer a smoother finish anyway.
Thanks both

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back