roughcasting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI does any body know if it is possible to roughcast over painted smooth render. Had a local firm look at the house and they have said it would be posible by applying a coat of waterproof pva? then scratch coat then final coat and stones. Any help would be much apreciated as i havent a clue about plastering or any job in the building trade and dont want to be tricked into payiny for a botch job.
Thanks to all who help

Sponsored Links
sounds plausible to me but wait to see what a rendering expert says, it's certainly the process i'd use internally on painted surfaces, not a waterproof PVA though as that would be unnecessary indoors

if the existing smooth render is sound it can be pressure washed, lines scored into it with a grinder or stihl saw. depending on the type of paint i would use a skutch hammer to get all the loose material off.
i would remove the window ingoes and soffits, treat with fungicidal wash and finally stabalising solution.
all text book stuff really.
;)

see now that didn't take long did it!?

thanks Alastair! question though, why the stabilising solution? not doubting you i just want to know the science behind it, i find i remember things better when i understand reasons

Sponsored Links
hi trowelmonkey.
we use stabilising solution the same reason pva or sbr is used for preparation of substrates prior to the application of scratchcoat.

as the products we use are polymers, bonding agents are not advised as they can react with the polymers causing discolouration.

stabilising solution, fungicidal wash as well as pressure washing are necessary procedures and always good practise when casting or rendering over previously painted substrates.

clicky

thanks for that reply Alastair!

so the solution is really for suction control then by the sound of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back