Route main downspout into another?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here is a Victorian terraced house.

- The downspout from the single-storey bay gutter goes underground and out on to the street (or, it would if it wasn't currently blocked) and is old metal.
- The taller main downspout from the main roof gutter exits into the front forecourt. It's plastic and was put there during a renovation a decade ago.

I no longer like that idea of the water just sitting in the garden like that. I feel like I want it all away from the house. Especially for the main downspout, which carries more water.

Wasn't this the original idea of pipes that exit to the street? Or is this only recommended for small amounts of water?

Assuming that's a fair idea, how could I go about doing that? Can the main one be routed into the shorter one? At what point?
Since the two things are different materials, and the shorter run looks narrower, does this pose challenges? Best get a professional in?

FYI - our neighbour doesn't have a long downspout from the main roof, only the bay. Must mean it's coming either to our gutter or their other side's?

9F66FABF-CFC4-459D-8DDC-F7BCB3BD4890.jpeg

A9FF2305-8D31-4A0A-8B4A-F84E5DCF7AFB.jpeg

Attachments

• 41B8D4B7-CCFB-4485-BD25-4E3B1ACFF74D.jpeg
    41B8D4B7-CCFB-4485-BD25-4E3B1ACFF74D.jpeg
    433.7 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links
Hi there. Take away bay pipe. Replace with upvc to make connections better fit . Then dig out old pipe and copy position into road with new pipe . Then when pipe is replaced under floor then you can get a 112 degree ‘y branch ‘ for small pipe and a 112degree pipe bend for big pipe . Cut at your desired level on small pipe then cut big pipe and connect the two . This means all water will go out of garden like before but will have main pipe water going with it Hope this helps

Also it may not be unblocking with rods as it looks like bay pipe has more 112 degree bends under the soil so it’s not straight and won’t rod with straight poker

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back