Routing CAT5e Cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all,

I have just recently been commisioned to install a medium sized Fast Ethernet network for an organisation. The building consists of three floors and I need to run two lengths of CAT5e cable to each Equipment Closet(EC) on each floor. The EC's are all immediately below/above each other so it is not a complex run at all.

Usually I would simply cut a path in the ceiling coving, and apply some PVC trunking to route it from the RJ45 keystone jack up through the ceiling but I have come to realise that the building has cavity walls. I would thus like to route it behind the plaster.

Now I understand that with cables carrying an electrical feed, you should route it through some conduit behind the plaster. Is this really necessary for a UTP cable which carries no more current than a speaker wire? I want to avoid chipping out any plaster at all, can it not simply be pushed down through the wall from a higher floor to a lower with the aid of a small weight or such attached to the end?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Sam :)

Sponsored Links
your cables come under the catagory of "safe extra low voltage" so in theory yes you can, only problem is either trunking or conduit will give it mechanical protection.

its up to you

Hi mate, ive installed a a lot CAT 5 cables in many places. U shouldnt have any problem running the cat 5 behind the wall like u suggested but do be aware that u cant run it parallel to any mains voltage cable of more than 3 feet.
Also dont kink it too sharply and allow plenty of slack when routing it.
cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Thanks guys, useful responses.

Rob, you mention something which I did not consider (duh), I have never routed cable between levels behind the plaster before... how do I go about getting them past/through the ceiling voids:confused:
Cheers.

you "fish"

you should use an unbent metal coat hanger to fish from one to the other, or measure exactly where the cable will be (because it has a weicght on it) and you fish it out

Hi. guys, if not too late, have you considered installing fibre, impervious to water and not affected EMI, and able to transfer traffic faster than copper.

I would recommend shielded cable if it's going to run anywhere near power cables. :)

Hang on, "You've been commisioned" that means your getting paid, Shouldnt you know what you're doing ? If diyers have to help you make a fortune, when you help us do you do it for free.Do the people who help you get a percentage?? (Just a thought)

If it's going run near power then a fibre backbone SHOULD be used as it is not affected by electro-magnetic interference. With shielded copper, I believe there is a minimum distance from power cables - alas, I do know what it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back