ega tubing & route for elv cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was looking at routes for some cabling i want to do, I live in a housing association property so while alot wouldn't bother the council, i need to be right so i can approach them with the improvement request... (of which wiring diagrams are required)

can i run coax & cat5 cable in ega tubing from the top of the house (coming out of the loft) down to ground level, then in through wall in kitchen, behind cupboards, behind tall freezer & into lounge? can keep cable in ega tubing if required in kitchen.

the path for the cables is 1.8m from the sink although there will not be any terminations, faceplates, connections etc. it is simply a route from outside to another room....

the ega tubing would be clipped to the wall & all pipework connections fully sealed. not sure this makes a difference though...?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
thanks RF,

i'll put it down on the planning sheet as the proposed route :)

i was just concerned about regs & kitchen being a special area, wasnt sure if running a cable within 3m of the sink would cause me any problems... (even if it's not terminated or to be used in the kitchen - just being run through)

Route behind the freezer might not be the best thing for the signal on your cables. I would think that it's more than likely OK but you could pick up some interference from the freezer motor.

Sponsored Links
lol you could run it under the sink if u wanted!! personally that way seems like a bit of hard work, can you not come down from right above where you want them to go? also trunking would be better to use and looks better in houses, it doesnt need to be 'watertight' just make sure theres no cable visible.

of course it needs to be watertight if he's running it outside, or he'll get water leaking out of the tube in the house...

be advised that this set up may be a condensation problem with warm air inside running up the pipe outside and condensing on the inside of the tube..

I'd personaly use 20mm conduit, end boxes, couplers and saddles (available in black or white).... it'd look much better than ega tube (oval)

You could also have a horizontal run before it drops down so that it comes out in exactly the right place!!

egatube is a registered trademark of MK..

it's a range name and includes round conduit and accessories in a number of sizes and colours..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back