routing of gas pipe for cooker..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the middle of doing the kitchen.. nothing in there but a shell..

at present, the gas pipe to my gas hob will go round 2 walls of my kitchen and round a chimney breast..

it's not connected as the plumber capped it a short distance from the meter ( in the corner of the room ) and ran the other side to where the gas hob will be.. he'll come and connect up once the wall has been plastered hence why it's in 2 parts..

on the wall the gas hob is going on, i have studded it out to allow for electrics and radiator pipes to be hidden.. ( effectively boxed in an entire wall.. )

above the gas meter is the boiler and the rad pipes go up the side of it into the loft (second storey flat.. loft is mine.. ).

I'm going to be boxing in this wall as well.

rather than having the gas pipe exposed, i'd like to run it up the wall with the heating pipes and across the loft to the other wall and down vertically from there....

1. is this allowed as it's not outside and the roof is ventilated.?

2. can i do the pipework myself but just leave the final connection to the corgi guy? ( both ends..)

3. what's the best way to terminate the gas line out from the stud wall for connection to the hob?

Sponsored Links
1) yes as long as it's done correctly according to all the regs.
2) techinically no, you aren't "competent". Speak to your corgi.
3) something like an elbow going to a capped off gas cock parallel with the wall, clipped appropriately.

If you do not trust the judgement of your rgi, get another one. No, you can not mess around with the gaspipe and than expect your rgi to take the responsibility for it. the whole point of having a corgi registered installer to do the work is to have it done expertly and safely for which we put our name on the cert and our head on the block if something goes wrong. In principal we can loose our corgi card for certifying work that is done by somebody else, I am sure you can draw your own conclusions about the professional quality of people who are willing to take this risk

surely it's just solder joint pipe or is it a special grade?

I have brazed pipes for air conditioning at work so soldering some 15mm elbows solidly onto 3 pieces of pipe shouldn't be a problem..

and as long as the plumber leak tests it then shouldn't it be fine?

Sponsored Links
I was asked to inspect a system that had been 'put in by bulgarians' (customers own words) so that the customer could get the boiler registered (he wanted me to notify it). In effect, he was asking my to inspect, test and commission work that had ben done by a (very obviously unregistered and quite possibly incompetent) third party.

When I told him that I would have to inspect the entire installation from top to bottom and then carry out any remedial work that was necessary and informed him of our prices for such a service, he went white.

Not worth it mate, just get your RGI to do the lot

Question is, is when does your boxing in become a duct or void?

Could be that you need ventilation in top and bottom if running the gas pipe in this.

Bit of a grey area I think :confused: .

Perhaps one of more technically minded could enlighten further ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back