Rover 200 Deisel fuel cap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Problem with locking fuel cap that has decided it doesn't want to unlock any more!

At the moment thinking of flat bladed screwdriver in key slot and a bit of brute force (and ignorance) or else drill at each end of the slot key fits into.

I have already tried heating the key and windscreen de-icer in case it was simply frozen as well as penetrating oil in case tumblers had stuck but all to no avail.

Looking for ideas please.

Sponsored Links
I'd be careful with the drilling, I think - there could be a chance of various bits of metal heading down into the tank.
Have you a spare key to try?
Often enough, a screwdriver is the simplest - if somewhat brutal - way to go!
John :)

Thanks for your reply John yes have a second key which doesn't work either.

Once key is in and you try turning it it will move very slightly that's all.

When it stops raining I think I will try a sledge hammer (well a gentle tap) on end of key, just to make sure key has gone all the way in, then try the screwdriver.

Sponsored Links
Just to close this post got cap off today.

The whole filler pipe is removable I discovered. Simply held by clip on top, a bolt and flexible coupling where it joins the actual tank.

Removed pipe, held it in vice and drilled ring of holes around lock. Lock fell out and simply removed remaining plastic bits.

Cleaned internal section of pipe and refitted. My biggest worry originally was muck entering fuel tank. This way nothing did so job done and I'm happy.

Back