RSJ and remortgage

C75

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a surveyor come round today, to survey the house for a remortgage. Whilst here he asked if I’d had any structural work done on the house, which I said I hadn’t - only had stud walls removed. However, I then remembered that an rsj had gone in to create the open plan living room years ago and I told him this. He asked if it was before I moved in and I said no, after I’d moved in. Maybe I should have lied, but I wasn’t sure if it would come up on the solicitors search (and it didn’t dawn on me not to be honest). However, I don’t think I’ve got any paperwork from the builder that did it. It would have been done in about 2005/06. There is definitely a steel in there. How problematic is it going to be for me not having paperwork for the steel? It’s obviously sound, as the work was done over 10 years ago and there’s no movement..... I’m going to be gutted if it affects the remortgage application!

Sponsored Links
You may be asked to apply for retrospective permission - regularisation.

However you would argue that the work has been done so long ago that any legal action is time-barred. And you would also state that as the surveyor has confirmed that there is no distress (assuming he does) then the work is fine. In both cases the value is unaffected.

I don't think you can take out an indemnity policy against yourself, but perhaps you could indemnify the mortgage company. Ask if need be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back