Rubber roof paint failed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve used Isoflex liquid rubber to paint a parapet. When first applied a year and a half ago it had a nice shiny finish. Now, the whole painted area has turned dull and matt. On very close inspection, there is slight crazing/cracking.

I used half a tin of 0.75L Isoflex Special Primer, followed by a full tin of 0.75L Black Roofing waterproofer (I think I did 2 coats). The area is just the one seen in the photo. It’s about 5 metres by 0.2 metres.

Thompsons/Ronseal have suggested that the application might have been too thin, and that water has ingressed underneath the surface. They have offered me some new paint for free, but I'd be reluctant to re-apply it without better knowing why it's failed in the first place. Can anyone advise? What's my best course of action here?

IMG_8968.jpeg

IMG_7480.jpg
IMG_7478.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
No, don’t think so. Not yet, anyway. Do you think it might be okay to leave it as is?

Is it normal for this to happen?

Last edited:
Any 'paint' you apply to a parapet will only ever be temporary whatever anyone or any manufacturer might say.

Sponsored Links
Yes, but it’s supposed to last 10 years, not 2… the previous roof paint did.

It hasn't failed . They offered you more product
Perhaps you think you’re being funny but I’m not an idiot. I have to re-do the work, and some honest advice would go a long way here.

Quite depressing the lack of community spirit here and I’ll take my queries elsewhere in future

How has it failed? its doing its job . Did you honestly think it was going to stay shiny like a new pair of shoes ?
I'm sure you didn't ..not being an idiot and all

It’s obviously useful to know that you think it hasn’t failed, because the manufacturer told me by email that it has.

To be honest I’ve never used this type of product before so I think it’s entirely reasonable to assume it might stay shiny. I’m a DIYer, after all, and I thought a forum like this would be a good place to learn from each other but instead I’m getting attitude. Have you been having a bad week?

Anyway, that’s why I’m asking here in the hope that those with experience can tell me their opinion and I’d value yours just as much as anyone else who’d like to chime in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back