Rubber vs polyurethane bushings

Joined
17 Apr 2007
Messages
2,752
Reaction score
147
Country
United Kingdom
What's everyone's preferred choice for bushings may I ask?

I just picked up a Febi kit that has left/right rubber bushes and bolts for my Bora TDI..

One of the fellas on a VW forum says he fits Powerflex polyurethane bushes. There's also PSB.
 
Powerflex for me, if it's a special build - I used quite a few on early Golf rear subframes and they were so much easier to fit.
Most of the suspension arms I fit come complete with rubber bushes, so on they go. I wouldn't go to the trouble of removing them just to fit the Powerflex gear. The chances are, the vehicle will be moved on long before any advantage becomes apparent.
John :)
 
Perhaps the car industry may adopt polyurethane as standard in the future.

I saw a YT video where polyurethane bushings are fitted to a Bora like mine and it seemed so much easier. Having said that, the puller tool I used was not a spot on fit and caused the bushings to twist a few times before I got them pushed in. Easier enough to get the old ones out if you cut the lip off on the inside face so you can rest the puller spacer on the axle eyelet and pull the busing inwards.
 
I have a couple of Powerflex bushes on the back end of the front wishbones on my Alfa. The originals are voided rubber, but the early 164 suffered from dreadful torque steer on poor surfaces and these make it noticeably better. However, they don't have the same compliance as the originals and I pay for that in a slight increase in harshness. The car doesn't feel quite as refined. They seem to last about 30,000 miles before you get any noticeable wear though.

I absolutely refuse to have them in the rear suspension, which is a multi-link setup. There's a big rubber bush (also voided) in the leading end of the trailing link, attached to a bracket on the bottom of the floorpan. As the suspension moves up and down, this moves in a conflicting arc with the rest of the suspension arms on the back - effectively, pulling each rear wheel forwards slightly as it rises over a bump. The original equipment void bush, allows the link to change length slightly to avoid this. The polyurethane ones don't. This puts a bigger load into the bottom of the floorpan and I worry about increased corrosion as it flexes.

There's also an engine stabiliser bar that has one small bush (engine end) and one big bush (bulkhead end) in it. I tried a PU replacement in the big end and very quickly took it out - it was trully horrible! Felt like I'd taken a V6 engine out and replaced it with an old Perkins diesel!

In short, I would consider using them in applications where they only have to rotate, rather than change shape.
 
They are a good idea and easier to fit, criticism used to be that they were a bit harsher on the ride quality and they could also make some sqeaking noises if they are not correctly lubricated on install with the supplied grease.
Powerflex are the most well known, for suspension they do a purple coloured road use bush and a black track style product. They also do others for exhausts etc and heritage cars.
 
Back
Top