Rubbery Paint on Wall That's Bubbled and Peels off Like Latex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've moved into a new house and the paint had big bubbles in it in the living room. I pulled it off to see what was happening and the paint peeled off in large sheets like it was latex (it might even be!).

It sounded online like this might actually be latex paint but they said that ammonia would help to dissolve the tough bits and it would scrape away easy but it doesn't appear to have any effect at all. Does anyone how I can get the bits that are stuck fast off my wall? Do I even need to bother, can I just sand it down, primer and paint?

Many thanks,

Anthony.

paintCloseup.jpg

paintOverview.jpg

Sponsored Links
There's a possibility that the wall was primed with PVA first, which might be why its coming off so clean. PVA is a big No No anywhere near painted surfaces.
Your going to have to try and get off what will come off and sand everything.

Thanks Robbie, I'll be giving that a shot tonight and I'll update on progress. It certainly looks like there is a white primer underneath with the grey on top, it doesn't look like the grey has settled very well on the white background in places either so it could well be PVA, I think the previous owner read the full book on No no's, he may have even wrote it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back