Rule off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just want to know does everyone rule off there secound coat when fineing down because i have seen people not doing it in the pass!

Sponsored Links
You never "rule off" when skimming,,, not a thick enough coat. You would normally rule off when using a much thicker backing coat, eg. bonding, hardwall, render.

Sponsored Links
fining down is a smooth render top coat round our way rc,and yes the top coat is ruled as should the scratch,without an edge it will be siht!,if you see a spread free hand smooth render its cause he cant use an edge,gives em away every time,that and no float but loads of sponge :rolleyes:

Well there ya go Exty',,,, "fining down" the render top coat,,, i have "never" heard it called that before, either in Hampshire, or up here in Moray. It was always,, put it on,, screed/rule it off, float/close it up, then either finish it off with a sponge or a trowel. There's me thinking that LJames was asking if you ruled off the top coat of finishing. :rolleyes: It was the way it appeared to me, when i read it. Apologies to LJames, for thinking he would have asked such a question in the first place.

Ha ha no problem roughcaster,the reason i ask this question is i have always used an edge and lately i have seen some lads just floating and spondgeing the hell out of it! Thanks anyway

Ha ha no problem roughcaster,the reason i ask this question is i have always used an edge and lately i have seen some lads just floating and spondgeing the hell out of it! Thanks anyway

fine down as to render down ,as was explained to me by my old lab many years ago,we were doing a big artex job on some post office ceilings on the second day the place stunk an me mate says you no why artex stinks so bad?no says i ,cause its made out of dead horses! ses he, me dad told me when a horse dies they send it to the rendering factory!!!
gospel.

fine down as to render down ,as was explained to me by my old lab many years ago,we were doing a big artex job on some post office ceilings on the second day the place stunk an me mate says you no why artex stinks so bad?no says i ,cause its made out of dead horses! ses he, me dad told me when a horse dies they send it to the rendering factory!!!
gospel.

He obviously hadn't a glue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back