Rules about Glazed windows

What are flag hinges? Can you translate in simple English, pls.

Sponsored Links
Flag hinges are the big external hinges that they use on doors. Have a quick google for a picture of them.

Could well work but again you will have to find a supplier or factory that would be ok with making them that way.

Where abouts are you.

All my windows on my house have a flying mullion with fire escape hinges (hinge pushes the window to the corner of the frame rather than stopping it in the middle). I love them, in the summer it is like having the whole house open! I have bought some of these myself and am sure the one in my kitchen is taller than 1200 so am sure it could be done.

They can be made larger ok. But most of the suppliers I use would make me sign a disclaimer on any side hung window that is over 1200mm in height.

Basically the disclaimer is just so I cant blame them if there are problems at a later date. I have done 3 or 4 windows that have been a bit over-sized (never quite 250mm) but have never had a call back so fingers crossed.

If possible flag hinges or heavy duty hinges for triple glazing would be the best bet though.

As asked what is your location? Someone here may be able to recommend a company near by.

Sponsored Links
They can be made larger ok. But most of the suppliers I use would make me sign a disclaimer on any side hung window that is over 1200mm in height.

The hinges on mine are sliders sitting on the top and bottom of the uPVC. Is this still classed as side hung!

I just saw he said South East London. I am in Reading so not sure I can help!

Yes the ones inside the frame top and bottom are called friction stay hinges

As said they are to high and would probably not seal properly, we do them and could supply them at that size but you would not get a warranty

You wouldn't get them to seal in the middle due to the usual pvc bow, you could spec closing wedges or as I said use flag hinges although 3 flags on a 1400 sash might look a bit over kill

Martindales can do it, but quoted £700/ Does that sound right?
I got one quote for £500 - Brentwood window center.

Can it be such a difference in quality to warrant such a difference in price?

ive never dealt with the second option but i know martindales are very good, but prices dont always reflect which option is better/worse. the second option may be better, also being a new customer you wouldnt get the same discount as the likes of me etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back