Runflat puncture repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to inflate a tyre on my car and it’s just told me it needs doing again.

I rolled the car forward and can see a screw around a 3rd of the way accross the tread.

Google says I can and can’t have a repair done but what’s the truth?

It seems to say you can’t because the tyre could be compromised elsewhere but the thick sidewalk can hide this damage. The car hasn’t done excess mileage or speed while it been punctured.

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
I fairly sure you can have a plug depending on where it is on the tread. A plug cannot be done if the sidewall is punctured or the hole is too near the sidewall. Best people to ask are your local tyre suppliers. Don't use that goop that idiot car manufacturers are supplying with cars instead of spare tyres.. It can ruin your rims apparently.

I've often wondered....does the tyre sealant actually damage the tyre or is it just unpleasant to deal with - hence the stigma?
The minor experience I've had was the alloy rim was untouched but I can't comment on the rubber.
John :)

Most gloop nowdays is water based so can be washed out with cold water. I’ve used it twice (Slime) on two bikes and it got them all the way home from the South of France where they were later repaired. A proper plug/patch repair is in line with British standards but check that there is no run flat damage to the inner sidewalls - you’ll soon know - if there is as a load of rubber crumbs will be inside the tyre but I imagine the sidewalls would be okay on a runflat.

Sponsored Links
Basically, they don't want to clean it off as it is a hard & messy job and would rather just sell you a new tyre.

My missus took it to ATS today and they charged her £23 to repair it :eek:

That’s not too terrible if done properly. Included in that price will be a new valve, a balance and vat. At least you can rest assured that it was done to the proper UK standards, maintains the integrity of the tyre and that it won’t suffer a sudden deflation.

Most of those cheap secondhand tyre places would charge £10-£15 and they wouldn’t even take the wheel off the car let alone the tyre off the wheel for inspection and they’d have just jammed a length of sticky string in the hole.

The danger with tyre fitters is the damage that they can do to your locking wheel nuts.
ATS replaced all my four tyres about five months ago. I went back with a problem last week, they told me the locking wheels nuts were knackered and they wouldn't accept liability for it.

I replaced all locking wheel nuts now with ordinary wheel nuts.
The general advice now is the thieves will take the whole car, not just the wheels and tyres. So locking wheel nuts are superfluous.

Sponsored Links
Back