Puncture repairs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a nail in the "groove" of a nice tyre.

But I have forgotten if punctures there can be repaired or only just in the high part of the tread?

Sponsored Links
Repairs are only possible on the area of the tyre that is within the first run of treads; i.e not the curved part. Whether the nail is in the groove or high spot doesn't matter.
John :)

Thats good news John.

I am sure I have had that problem some time in the past but I had forgotten.

This was one of a pair of good quality tyres which I bought at £30 each with virtually no use on them. I find that tyre places are selling more and more slightly used tyres.

Apparently in Germany they have to change tyres with very low mileage and the used ones are brought back here.

Tony

Sure, there are a good few used tyre outlets around - the trouble is, there could be hidden wall or carcass damage if the car has been in a crash, thats a risk you take. Any damage would be visible though, if you could see the inside before it was fitted!
I thought the Germans still used the same guidelines as us - i.e down tp the wear indicator bars but no further.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Sounds a bit surprising but a guy at a tyre place was saying the Germans had to take their cars to an MOT place before the winter to show that they had winter tyres fitted and the summer ones are usually discarded little used at that time resulting in a lot of slightly used tyres which come here !!!

seems a bit far fetched, If I had to do that, I would have 2 sets of wheels, not throw away perfectly good tyres.

I have had punctures repaired, last one was 12 months ago though, cost me £10 including a new valve and re-balance.

i had to have a repair done a few years back at a fast fit centre the muppet used a special gauge to assertain where the nail was and then proudly said it cant be repaired i argued the toss with him it turned out the d.ick was using the gauge for lorry tyres. :rolleyes:

Thats good news John.

I am sure I have had that problem some time in the past but I had forgotten.

This was one of a pair of good quality tyres which I bought at £30 each with virtually no use on them. I find that tyre places are selling more and more slightly used tyres.

Apparently in Germany they have to change tyres with very low mileage and the used ones are brought back here.

Tony

I never heard that about Germany, but apparently the Japanese MOT is so strict, that the tyres are discarded immediately, after a years use. And the Jap MOT is so strict, that they flog off their cars after 3-5 years..hence so many imports.

pretty sure german minimum tread depth is 4mm so anything close to that is likely to be discarded much the same as we do with anything close to 1.6mm. also pretty sure germans (and a lot of europeans) have to use either "all weather" tyres or winter tyres in the winter months. some have two sets of wheels to get the best grip all year, others just use the slightly inferior "all weather" ones for the entire year.

used to be a good market here for second hand european tyres.

MOT in germany is strict but japan is insane. dents and scrapes count for a points failure hence the widespread exporting/importing of jap cars.

What Nick has said above rather supports what the tyre fellow was telling me last week.

Tony

1) Minimum tread requirement in Germany is 1.6 mm (TWI)
2) Regulations require "tyres suited to the weather conditions" so if you cause an accident/traffic-jam in snow and have summer-tyres, that's an E 20 fine.

1) Minimum tread requirement in Germany is 1.6 mm (TWI)
2) Regulations require "tyres suited to the weather conditions" so if you cause an accident/traffic-jam in snow and have summer-tyres, that's an E 20 fine.

You are in France, and don't have a € sign? Are your Q/A/Y keys transposed? I forget which it is?

........."You are in France, and don't have a € sign? "
Correct. Why I don't know. It is a Logitech keyboard bought from a major retailer and I assumed it would have all I need .......... wrong !

Top line starts " AZERTY" on keys but since PC is running English keyboard still prints "QWERTY" when pressed. Quite a number of other things moved around too.

If I were a touch-typist this would make no difference, but since I still look at keyboard it confuses sometimes.

Worst thing is , that instead of having keys which have two characters differentiated by the upper/lower case key, there are quite a few which have three characters and the third one is selected using two alternative keys.

The tilde - that I believe you are familiar with - lurks on one of these keys. :)

........."You are in France, and don't have a € sign? "
Correct. Why I don't know. It is a Logitech keyboard bought from a major retailer and I assumed it would have all I need .......... wrong !

Top line starts " AZERTY" on keys but since PC is running English keyboard still prints "QWERTY" when pressed. Quite a number of other things moved around too.

If I were a touch-typist this would make no difference, but since I still look at keyboard it confuses sometimes.

Worst thing is , that instead of having keys which have two characters differentiated by the upper/lower case key, there are quite a few which have three characters and the third one is selected using two alternative keys.

The tilde - that I believe you are familiar with - lurks on one of these keys. :)

Yes good old tilde, if you use the right Alt key (labelled Alt-Gr, and the 4 key), if the software is setup correctly, you should receive the € sign? My tilde key is shift hash, above the right shift key, but if the software is setup as American, the hash replaces the shift 3, which should be £. As it's a French keyboard, pop the Q and A keys off and swap them around. No offense meant or anything. My first PC Olivetti M10? had f keys that went upto f14..

Sponsored Links
Back