Puncture repair prices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Took my daughters tyre which had a screw in the tyre to get a puncture repaired to a well known garage..... kwik fit and was expecting it to be about 10-12 quid............the guy who appeared was very abrupt and did not make you feel welcome at all then says it will be £27.50..........jeez.. now as the tyre is ok but will only last another 4-6 months I said what about replacing the tyre £105 quid ....but £27.50 for a puncture repair

Sponsored Links
Very often at that price they are not worth repairing unless they are almost new, but then I only pay about £50 for my tyres.

I took one into a garage at Rogart in Scotland a couple of years ago when we were on holiday, he repaired it while I waited and charged me £5.00 - bit of a long way to go though.

Peter

These are strictly for off road use only...a proper repair involves reaming the puncture hole, buffing the inside of the tyre (obviously off rim), applying the vulcanising solution, inserting the plug with its internal patch,
putting the tyre back on the rim and (maybe) rebalancing.
I pay £12 to an independant tyre outlet.
Kwik Fit are sales people first and tyre fitters second!
John :)

Sponsored Links
These are strictly for off road use only...
I'll hazard that the lawyers tell them to put that just to cover themselves. I must admit I've never actually used the Silverline one that I linked to, but I have used loads of the old Metzeler type on mainly motorcycle tyres, but a couple of car tyres, and haven't had a single one fail. As a london motorbike courier I used to get loads of rear punctures. I always treated these plugs as a permanent repair, despite what the kit manufacturers said.

I have to confess that I've used those repair plugs too, and they haven't let me down - only used them as a get me home measure though!
The thing is, on a public forum to endorse them for a purpose they're not designed for may be out of order. Not getting at you! :p
John :)

There is a Greek fellow in North London who only charges £5.

The job is actually done by an arab fellow. One I took him actually had TWO puncture holes! He was going to charge me £10 but agreed to make it £7.50 but I dont know how much difference it made that I was speaking to him in Arabic.

He prepared the inside by putting some solvent ( or petrol ? ) in the inside and lighting it? I have never seen that before!

I am looking for someone to fit my own tyres and balance them cheaply. As far as I can see if they can do a puncture for £5 they should be able to do that at £5 too!

Tony

Back