Unrepairable puncture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just had to fork out for a new tyre because my less than a year old one had a puncture. I was told that because the nail (that was in between the tread in the middle of the tyre) was at an angle, they couldnt 'drill' that way to fix it. They got the puncture kit out to convince me but I just felt they were 'baffling me'. The tyre had no bulge, was not on a side wall and caused a 10 bar deflation overnight. My concern is that I feel conned but didn't know enough about tyres to argue the point so, wanting my family safe I paid up. Given the position and 'angle' of the nail, was I conned or are there conditions such as that that would mean they could not fix it? I have taken the tyre and plan to show it to someone else. If they were truthfully, I accept it and move on but if not I plan to complain. Thanks for any help and if you need more info let me know, thanks VB (£140 worse off!)

Sponsored Links
mmm i once had a young grease monkey try and convince me a tyre i had was not repairable because accordingly to his gauge it was too close to the edge,turned out he was using the wrong 1(trucks)BERK.

ive never heard that 1 before,as the chances of any nail/screw going in vertical so to speak is pretty slim.
thought they had different sizes of rubber inserts so they could try and square the hole up.??

I suppose they are guarding their private parts really - if the hole is at such an acute angle it becomes a 'rip' - and although a repair would probably be ok, they know that they could be liable if it fails.
John :)

If you feel ripped off,why didn't you repair the tyre yourself?

Sponsored Links
If the hole is at too much of an angle the head of the 'mushroom' they use to repair it won't won't seal when they push it through.

Well the angle was straight enough not to be a tear,rip,gash and you could just detect the angle if you held the bit inside the wheel. I would repair it myself but don't have the know how, machine to take the tyre off/on, not thought about it to be honest at 10-20 quid it's not worth trying. I get the answers but their reluctance was not based on liability, 'it's a rip" etc,MIT was that they couldn't do it. I think I need another opinion from someone who can look at it. Thanks.

At the end of the day, there is not much work out there, everyone is trying to get as much money from any customer.

But saying that, if the guy had fixed the tyre and something went wrong at 70 on the motorway - this would have been a completely different conversation, if you were still here, that is. :eek:

Andy

Did you keep the old tyre?

Should have done if you felt you were being conned, then at least you can get a 2nd opinion and get it repaired elsewhere for use when another goes.

Sponsored Links
Back