Strange Tyre Wheel Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may sound like a odd question but I have TPMS sensors inside my tyre. The sensors have option to change the battery which is supposed to last about 5+ years. The cover is held in by tiny 4 screws. The screws thread into metal nuts on the housing. But it just got me thinking. When this sensor sits inside the tyre for the next how ever many years, will these screw mounts rust? because if they rust where the screw is threaded to the nut, then removing the screws will be impossible without damaging the head. But then giving it some thought, in theory I was thinking does rust not happen due to moisture in the air? And seeing as a tyre is air tight and considering it isn't left with a puncture or deflated then moisture shouldn't get in. So in theory if moisture doesn't get in, does that mean rust should not develop?

Sponsored Links
Unless you inflate your tyres with perfectly dry air there will always be some moisture inside.
Those nuts hopefully are made of a non-rusting material. On the other hand, the sensor manufacturer may want to flog you some new sensors every couple of years ....

Sponsored Links
Back